When many younger undergraduates were home working in retail or restaurants this past summer, Alyssa McCulloch was creating a model blood vessel that could be used to create medical devices, Kevin Iu was testing the corrosive impact of sea water on metal at the Cal Poly Pier, and Arielle Sampson tested a drone that will be used to help ag faculty monitor Cal Poly crops.
Those valuable experiences, gained through the College of Engineering’s Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP), were funded by the Dean’s Innovation Fund. And now, with today’s (1/14/20) launch of the Dean’s Club for Innovation, you can support SURP; student clubs, like the Society for Women Engineers and Cal Poly Hyperloop; and our diversity and inclusivity initiatives.
Learn more about the Summer Undergraduate Research Program in this video, which followed several projects during the summer of 2019. The program is sponsored by the Dean’s Club for Innovation.
As a champion of the Dean’s Club for Innovation, you will receive exclusive member benefits, including:
- A welcome note from Dean Amy S. Fleischer along with a club membership pin.
- Invitations to College of Engineering events with an opportunity to meet the Dean and interact with college faculty and students.
- Exclusive communications from the college that illustrate how your support is making an impact across the college.
- Personalized fund services to make investing in Cal Poly Engineering a convenient and easy experience.
- Individual gift planning consultations to offer you and your financial advisers our expert, tax-friendly information on leaving a legacy to Cal Poly Engineering through a trust, bequest, or other planned gift.
- Your impact story featured on the College of Engineering’s social media channels.
The SURP program, now three years old, has rapidly grown thanks to the Dean’s Innovation Fund, but the demand is also increasing. One of our three primary goals (the others are to improve diversity and inclusiveness and to build a modern Center for Creative Engineering), SURP is a forward-thinking project that gives students valuable, real-world experience.
By joining the club here, you can support SURP, diversity, Learn by Doing clubs and the next exciting CENG initiative.